[mrtg] Re: Monitoring Linux Server

Trent Melcher tmelcher at trilogytel.com
Mon Feb 14 20:41:25 MET 2005

If you don't have SNMP turned-on, on the linux box,   then the way I do it
is use the technique that's been around a while grabbing mailstats from
boxes.....

First create a service in either your inetd.conf(old linux/Unix) or create a
file in /etc/xinetd.d with the service in it.

Here is an example I use on a Solaris box (inetd.conf):

df-stats        stream  tcp     nowait  root    /bin/df         df -k
cpu-stats       stream  tcp     nowait  root    /bin/uptime     uptime
io-stats        stream  tcp     nowait  root    /bin/iostat     iostat 1 5
smtp-stats      stream  tcp     nowait  root    /bin/mailstats  mailstats

In your services file your add line to unique port numbers for these
services

Then just telnet to the port on the machine and you get your stats.

I have a perl script that is called inside the mrtg config files that parses
the data and mrtg does the rest

Trent

Trent Melcher
Network/System Administrator