[mrtg] Re: Error Message: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed

Chuck.Coker at rcc.edu Chuck.Coker at rcc.edu
Mon Feb 14 23:56:11 MET 2005

I haven't seen a solution to the "swap_pager_getswapspace: failed"
problem anywhere on the web, so I though I'd share my findings with
others.

I had cron set to start the MRTG script every five minutes. The
processes did not have time to complete before cron started another
round of polling. Because of the overlap, eventually there would be
enough scripts running that it would use up all of the memory and swap
space.

Last Friday, before I left for the day, I set cron to start MRTG every
ten minutes, instead of five minutes, and when I came in today (Monday)
everything appears to have been running smoothly over the weekend. There
are a few thin, gray lines here and there in the graphs, but overall it
looks good.

Here are some relevant specs on our admittedly weak MRTG box:

FreeBSD 5.1, Release 0
Pentium III, 730.95MHz
256 MB Memory
MRTG 2.10.13
routers.cgi Version v2.11

We are currently monitoring 204 routers and switchers. I have
approximately 100 more to add.

I don't know how to determine how many interfaces we are monitoring
without counting them individually in each config file. Is there a way
to do this?

Thanks,
Chuck

Chuck Coker                             chuck.coker (et) rcc.edu
       Riverside Community College, Information Services
4800 Magnolia Avenue, Riverside, California 92506, United States
+1 951 222 8759 (desk)                    +1 951 830 8068 (cell)