[mrtg] Re: Remote Scripts

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Mon Feb 28 17:43:27 MET 2005

Is it running USS or snmp?  Also, I think Trent Melcher posted
something
cool that I've tried on a number of remote machines with very good
results.

Here's the text from his e-mail, but I'm sure a search of the archives

would turn this up as well:

"If you don't have SNMP turned-on, on the linux box,   then the way I
do it
is use the technique that's been around a while grabbing mailstats
from
boxes.....

First create a service in either your inetd.conf(old linux/Unix) or
create a
file in /etc/xinetd.d with the service in it.

Here is an example I use on a Solaris box (inetd.conf):

df-stats        stream  tcp     nowait  root    /bin/df         df -k
cpu-stats       stream  tcp     nowait  root    /bin/uptime     uptime
io-stats        stream  tcp     nowait  root    /bin/iostat     iostat
1 5
smtp-stats      stream  tcp     nowait  root    /bin/mailstats
mailstats

In your services file your add line to unique port numbers for these
services

Then just telnet to the port on the machine and you get your stats.

I have a perl script that is called inside the mrtg config files that
parses
the data and mrtg does the rest"

Paul

>>> "Shane Presley" <shane.presley at gmail.com> 02/28/05 11:33 AM >>>
Does anyone have any examples or pointers to documents on how to run a
remote script, and graph the results.

I run MRTG on a centralized linux system.  I have a mainframe box with
a unix interface.  I can run basic unix commands on it.  I have a
script that tests internal response time.  It returns a single value
(milliseconds).  I'd like to graph that.

But I need to get that data off to my MRTG server.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
Shane