[mrtg] Re: Remote Scripts

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Feb 28 23:01:11 MET 2005

>Does anyone have any examples or pointers to documents on how
>to run a remote script, and graph the results.

I do this using NRPE, the Nagios plugin agent.  If you install NRPE (or
NRPE_NT for windows boxes) then you can have a generic plugin that returns a
line of text containing one or more numbers.

Then, I have a script mrtg-nrpe.pl (shipped with routers.cgi in the extras
directory) that allows you to query the NRPE agent, and extract one or more
numbers from the returned string.

We use this here to obtain mail queue lengths, and a almost everything else
for the UNIX servers since most do not have a useable SNMP agent.

Steve