[mrtg] Newbie question

Leone, Michael MLeone at Contributionship.com
Mon Feb 28 20:49:12 MET 2005

Hello all. I am using MRTG v2.0.13 on a Win2000 system. I have it set to
monitor my Pix firewall. I want to see my monitoring graphs as bits, rather
than bytes. So I added the line
Options[_]: growright, bits

to my mrtg.cfg. I see in the configuration reference that ...

bits
    All the monitored variable values are multiplied by 8 (i.e. shown in
bits instead of bytes) ... looks much more impressive :-) It also affects
the 'factory default' labeling and units for the given target.

So should I take that to mean that whatever entry I make for my MaxBytes
should be in bytes, but the graph will display in bits? For example, my Pix
has 3 interfaces - outside (T-1), inside (local Ethernet), DMZ (another
Ethernet).

Since what I mainly want to do is monitor bandwdith of the T-1, I want to
monitor interface 1 and 3. Do I list the MaxBytes for both of these
interfaces to be 193000 (T-1 bandwidth in bytes)? And so my graph would show
the bandwidth consumed in bits?

Michael Leone, Systems Administrator
Philadelphia Contributionship
210 S. 4th Street, Philadelphia, PA  19106
<mailto:mleone at contributionship.com>
V: 215-627-1752 x1282
F: 215-627-5354