[mrtg] Anyway to determine MaxBytes for a port....

Westley Chang ChangW at gao.gov
Wed Jan 5 22:59:04 MET 2005

Hello,
   I understand that the cfgmaker allows you to perform an SNMP walk
that gathers snmp information about a particular router/switch.  I was
wondering if there is any way cfgmaker can determine the exact MaxBytes
for a specific port on a router/switch....
   The reason why I asked is that I was tweaking a generic cfgmaker
script using different MaxBytes values to see if the graphs would be
different.  Both of these two scripts (e.g. A & B)  were essentially
identical except that I changed the MaxBytes values.
   After polling for a couple of hours, I see that the y-axis (e.g.
port utilization) is a bit different.  Script B actually has a much
higher port utilization (maximum peak 48.0 k) than Script A (e.g.
maximum peak 35.0k) even though the MaxByte value was higher for script
A!  (Max Bytes value- 12500000)

 Is there any way to determine the exact MaxByte?  IF not,  is there a
Cisco CLI command that can be used to query the correct MaxBytes.....Any
assistance or help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!:)

            Wes

Script A:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Target[x]: 91:password at x.x.x.x
MaxBytes[x]: 12500000
AbsMax[x]:    56000000
Options[x]: bits, unknaszero
Title[x]: x.x.x.x - Port Utilization by port instance on sl0 (2)
PageTop[x]: <H1>x.x.x.x - (2)</H1>
YLegend[x]: Port Utilization
LegendI[x]: In
LegendO[x]: Out
Legend1[x]: Inbound Bits
Legend2[x]: Outbound Bits
Legend3[x]: INBOUND Max value per interval on graph
Legend4[x]: OUTBOUND Max value per interval on graph
Colours[x]: GREEN#00eb0c,BLUE#0000ff,GRAY#AAAAAA,VIOLET#ff00ff
WithPeak[x]: ymw
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Script B:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Target[x]: 91:password at x.x.x.x
MaxBytes[x]:  1200
AbsMax[x]:     8000
Options[x]: bits, unknaszero
Title[x]: x.x.x.x - Port Utilization by port instance on sl0 (2)
PageTop[x]: <H1>x.x.x.x - (2)</H1>
YLegend[x]: Port Utilization
LegendI[x]: In
LegendO[x]: Out
Legend1[x]: Inbound Bits
Legend2[x]: Outbound Bits
Legend3[x]: INBOUND Max value per interval on graph
Legend4[x]: OUTBOUND Max value per interval on graph
Colours[x]: GREEN#00eb0c,BLUE#0000ff,GRAY#AAAAAA,VIOLET#ff00ff
WithPeak[x]: ymw
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx