[mrtg] Re: Anyway to determine MaxBytes for a port....

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Jan 5 23:04:59 MET 2005

The MaxBytes value is determined by the Bandwidth statement on the
interface.  Graph maximums will be different if you don't have
the Unscaled option enabled.  If you do, all graphs will have a maximum

scale of whatever your maxbytes is, while if it is not enabled, all
graphs
will scale to the maximum of whatever utilization the port has seen.

Paul

>>> "Westley Chang" <ChangW at gao.gov> 1/5/2005 4:59:04 PM >>>
Hello,
   I understand that the cfgmaker allows you to perform an SNMP walk
that gathers snmp information about a particular router/switch.  I was
wondering if there is any way cfgmaker can determine the exact
MaxBytes
for a specific port on a router/switch....
   The reason why I asked is that I was tweaking a generic cfgmaker
script using different MaxBytes values to see if the graphs would be
different.  Both of these two scripts (e.g. A & B)  were essentially
identical except that I changed the MaxBytes values.
   After polling for a couple of hours, I see that the y-axis (e.g.
port utilization) is a bit different.  Script B actually has a much
higher port utilization (maximum peak 48.0 k) than Script A (e.g.
maximum peak 35.0k) even though the MaxByte value was higher for
script
A!  (Max Bytes value- 12500000)

 Is there any way to determine the exact MaxByte?  IF not,  is there a
Cisco CLI command that can be used to query the correct
MaxBytes.....Any
assistance or help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!:)

            Wes

Script A:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Target[x]: 91:password at x.x.x.x
MaxBytes[x]: 12500000
AbsMax[x]:    56000000
Options[x]: bits, unknaszero
Title[x]: x.x.x.x - Port Utilization by port instance on sl0 (2)
PageTop[x]: <H1>x.x.x.x - (2)</H1>
YLegend[x]: Port Utilization
LegendI[x]: In
LegendO[x]: Out
Legend1[x]: Inbound Bits
Legend2[x]: Outbound Bits
Legend3[x]: INBOUND Max value per interval on graph
Legend4[x]: OUTBOUND Max value per interval on graph
Colours[x]: GREEN#00eb0c,BLUE#0000ff,GRAY#AAAAAA,VIOLET#ff00ff
WithPeak[x]: ymw
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Script B:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Target[x]: 91:password at x.x.x.x
MaxBytes[x]:  1200
AbsMax[x]:     8000
Options[x]: bits, unknaszero
Title[x]: x.x.x.x - Port Utilization by port instance on sl0 (2)
PageTop[x]: <H1>x.x.x.x - (2)</H1>
YLegend[x]: Port Utilization
LegendI[x]: In
LegendO[x]: Out
Legend1[x]: Inbound Bits
Legend2[x]: Outbound Bits
Legend3[x]: INBOUND Max value per interval on graph
Legend4[x]: OUTBOUND Max value per interval on graph
Colours[x]: GREEN#00eb0c,BLUE#0000ff,GRAY#AAAAAA,VIOLET#ff00ff
WithPeak[x]: ymw
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx