[mrtg] Re: Business Hours Only hack to talker.pl

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Mon Jan 10 19:21:57 MET 2005

I'll include these in the script I maintain.  Pretty neat to see
development
in this script still happening.

That page fixitdave set up is pretty cool too!

Paul

>>> "Patrick Bartkus" <patrckb22 at yahoo.com> 1/10/2005 11:42:22 AM >>>
Our situation:
We need to be able to analyze our WAN link traffic
patterns. We are getting ready to replace our
hub-and-spoke frame relay network with a MPLS network.
We need to know how much each PVC is being utilized
during business hours (8 AM to 5 PM local time). We
will then use that to size the branch local loops.

The Problem:
Plain brown wrapper MRTG shows averages over 7 X 24
period with not a clean way to segregate business hour
traffic.

My Solution:
I modified Paul Williamson & Daniel McDaniel's
excellent talker.pl. This script accumulates the
traffic over the specified time period and then ranks
the targets by bytes or percent utilization. This
gives a great Top Talker report.

I added a radio button to be able to select all hours
or only business hours. I then added code to modify
the data accumulation routine to respect that
selection.

There may be other ways to do this but this works for
me.

An Aside:
I wish I had known about
http://www.geocities.com/mrtg_daemon/toptalkers.html
when I was first setting up my configurations. He does
a great job of documenting how to set what up to get
the most out of talker.pl. Kudos to fixitdave (at)
blueyonder {dot}co{dot}uk.

My hacks [in diff -c format]:

*** talker.pl   2004-08-02 15:45:16.000000000 -0400
--- talker-wan7206_business.pl  2005-01-10
10:35:59.000000000 -0500
***************
*** 1,8 ****
! #!/usr/bin/perl

  # talker.pl: Rank the talkers in a single config
file based
  #            on percent utilization of a circuit
  #
  # Version 1.1 - DJM/PCW - July 10, 2001
  #             Changed the periods to reflect the
correct information
  #             Added functionality to call talker
from command line
--- 1,10 ----
! #!/usr/bin/perl -T

  # talker.pl: Rank the talkers in a single config
file based
  #            on percent utilization of a circuit
  #
+ # Version 1.2 - PMB - January 10, 2005
+ #             Added code to test for business hours
only
  # Version 1.1 - DJM/PCW - July 10, 2001
  #             Changed the periods to reflect the
correct information
  #             Added functionality to call talker
from command line
***************
*** 194,199 ****
--- 202,211 ----

td($query->radio_group(-name=>'sort',

-values=>['Units','Utilization'],

-default=>'Units')));
+               print Tr(td("Hours to use:"),
+
td($query->radio_group(-name=>'hours',
+
-values=>['All Hours','Business Hours'],
+
-default=>'All')));
                print end_table;
                print $query->submit(-label=>'Get
rankings');
                print $query->end_form;
***************
*** 205,211 ****
                        $sort = param('sort');
                        my $grouptitle =
param('group');
                        my $order = param('order');
!                       print
h1({-align=>'center'},"Top $total $grouptitle Talkers"
.br. "as of $timephrase" .br. "in $order order",hr);
                        my
(%topin,%topout,%perctopin,%perctopout);
                        my $interval =
$topparams{param('period')}[0];
                        my $start =
$topparams{param('period')}[1];
--- 217,226 ----
                        $sort = param('sort');
                        my $grouptitle =
param('group');
                        my $order = param('order');
!                       my $period = param('period');
!                       my $which_hours =
param('hours') ;
!                       my $business_hours_only =
$which_hours  eq "Business Hours" ;
!                       print
h1({-align=>'center'},"$period Top $total $grouptitle
Talkers" .br. "as of $timephrase $which_hours " .br.
"in $order order",hr);
                        my
(%topin,%topout,%perctopin,%perctopout);
                        my $interval =
$topparams{param('period')}[0];
                        my $start =
$topparams{param('period')}[1];
***************
*** 224,232 ****
                                my
($start,$step,$names,$data) = RRDs::fetch @opts;
                                my
($intot,$outtot,$i,$intotperc,$outtotperc);
                                foreach my $item
(@$data) {
!                                       $i++;
!                                       $intot +=
$$item[0];
!                                       $outtot +=
$$item[1];
                                }
                                if ($i > 0) {

$perctopin{$tar} = sprintf('%3f',$intot/ $i /
$targets{maxbytes}{$tar} * 100);
--- 239,264 ----
                                my
($start,$step,$names,$data) = RRDs::fetch @opts;
                                my
($intot,$outtot,$i,$intotperc,$outtotperc);
                                foreach my $item
(@$data) {
! ## -> PMB                             Test for
business hours or not
!                                       if
($business_hours_only) {
!
@loctime = localtime($start) ;
!                                               $start
+= $step;
!
$loctime = scalar localtime($start) ;
!                                               if (
$loctime[2] >= 8 && $loctime[2] < 18 ) {
! ##
 accumulate values
!
 $i++;
!
 $intot += $$item[0];
!
 $outtot += $$item[1];
!                                               }
         #not business hours so don't accumulate
!                                       } else {
! ##                                            We
don't care what time it is, just accumulate
!                                               $i++;
!                                               $intot
+= $$item[0];
!
$outtot += $$item[1];
!                                       }
                                }
                                if ($i > 0) {

$perctopin{$tar} = sprintf('%3f',$intot/ $i /
$targets{maxbytes}{$tar} * 100);
-----

Enjoy!
Patrick

=====
Patrick Bartkus, RHCE, CCNP, SCM 	Sr. Network Support Analyst
         Atlanta, GA
If truth was not absolute, how could there be justice?