[mrtg] Averaging throughput for particular time periods

Wade Guidry wade at mail.crsn.lib.or.us
Tue Jan 11 02:49:05 MET 2005

I want to average throughput on my routers for particular time periods.

Namely, I want to average throughput during operating hours.

Towards this end, I have configured mrtg to collect data only during
these hours (eg, 8am to 9pm).

However, it appears to me that the average throughput calculated by mrtg
uses 24 hours/day, regardless of the number of hours per day that mrtg
is actually collecting data.

Is my assumption correct? If so, how can I configure mrtg to average
throughput based on the number of hours per day that I am actually
collecting data?

I have looked at the mrtg docs online, but have not found a conclusive
answer, although I did find this:

"withzeroes

Normally we ignore all values which are zero when calculating the
average transfer rate on a line. If this is not desirable use this
option."

Is this saying that those times during which I am not collecting data
(and thus, the data is 0) are actually NOT included in the avg?

Thanks for any help that anyone can give.

Wade Guidry, MCSE, MCSA, CCNA, Network+
Systems Manager, Coastal Resources Sharing Network (CRSN)
office: 503.842.4792
cell:  503.801.2073
home: 425.894.5912
e-mail: wade at mail.crsn.lib.or.us