[mrtg] Re: 3com and VLAN measurements

Peter P. Benac ppbenac at emacolet.com
Sun Jan 30 02:55:26 MET 2005

Liz,

     VLAN1 is the management VLAN and SNMP get requests to VLAN1 are showing
management traffic.   Spanning Tree, ICMP, broadcast traffic etc.. The
graphs for each interface are more important.  If VLAN1 traffic is as you
say in the 96 mb/s range then I'd be looking at excess spanning tree traffic
or excess broadcast traffic.

     Ports that are not attached to another switch or router should have
spanning tree turned off.  If a PC is powered down then every device in the
LAN will be forced to recompute Spanning Tree.  This can cause excess
traffic.

Regards,
Pete
----
Peter P. Benac, CCNA
Celtic Spirit Network Solutions
Providing Network and Systems Project Management and Installation and Web
Hosting.
Phone: 919-618-2557
Web: http://www.emacolet.com
Need quick reliable Systems or Network Management advice visit
http://www.nmsusers.org

To have principles...
             First have courage.. With principles comes integrity!!!