[mrtg] Re: Uptime (32-bit) wrapping

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Fri Jul 22 20:59:41 MEST 2005

> I am having a "discussion" with one of my vendors about the
> lack of a 64-bit
> Uptime counter.
> Can anyone name a vendor that has implemented this? I need
> leverage to get
> them to make this addition to their Private MIBs.
> Since I now have boxes with 1200+ days of actual uptime, it
> would be really
> nice not to be loosing that data in reports.

Good luck! I've had plenty of trouble getting vendors to implement
64 bit counters _where_they_are_needed_ for accurate statistics
let alone for something like uptime. Take network appliance for
example. They churn out these phat multi-gigabit port-channel'able
filers, but they refuse to implement snmp v2c 64 bit counters.
Instead they expect folks to write traffic monitoring applications
around adding two 32 bit hi/lo counters together.

I'm surprised that I haven't seen a linux distribution that
has a 64 bit uptime counter. Maybe it's a kernel (and therefore
backwards compatability) limitation but it's annoying when the
box goes from an uptime of 497 days to zero.