[mrtg] External program calling on windows XP

Clemson, Chris Chris.Clemson at softwareag.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 17:36:19 MEST 2005

Hi everyone!
I'm trying to use WMI stuff to generate stats on our exchange 2003
server.
I got some pointers on using vb script to get the counters, which seems
to work fine, however when I try and call this .vbs file from mrtg, I
get an error.

Eg, running my .vbs file I get the following:

D:\mrtg-2.9.18\bin>cscript //nologo exchlogons.vbs ukmsg04
452
75
25/07/2005 16:31:25
ukmsg04

Which seems to be in the right format (correct me if I'm wrong, but
similar outputs on linux work).

The pertinent line in my mrtg .cfg file is the following:

Target[clients]: `cscript //nologo exchlogons.vbs ukmsg04`:

When I run my config, I get the following:

D:\mrtg-2.9.18\bin>perl mrtg D:\mrtg-2.9.18\bin\ukmsg04wmi.cfg
WARNING:
ERROR: Target[clients][_IN_] ' $target->[0]{$mode} :' (eval): syntax
error at (eval 6) line 1, near "} :"

ERROR: Target[clients][_OUT_] ' $target->[0]{$mode} :' (eval): syntax
error at (eval 7) line 1, near "} :"

It seems to pause while running (as the original script does at the end
for some reason), so I'm guessing it's actually running the script, but
not liking the results.
Any ideas?
Thanks,

chris