[mrtg] Altering old RRD files

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Wed Jun 1 20:20:19 MEST 2005

Hi folks,

We've recently changed units of measurement for measuring disk usage
(switching to actual usage instead of blocks).  While our new systems
are all measuring this way, I'd like to preserve the old data.

Is there some easy way to manipulate the data in the old RRD files to
multiply all the values by a particular number?  For example, I'd like
to multiply all the values in a particular old RRD by 512, others by
4096, etc.

My thought is to take a dump of the RRD and have a perl script chew
through the entries to multiply it by my chosen constant, then take
the rewritten file and pull it back into a .rrd.  But that seems hard
annoying, and prone to error on my part.

Surely someone's done this before some easier way?

Thanks,

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas at FreeBSD.org, mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org

"The cloak of anonymity protects me from the nuisance of caring." -Non Sequitur