[mrtg] Accuracy of data

Paul Harlow pharlow at skld.com
Fri Jun 3 17:57:53 MEST 2005

I have had MRTG up for quite a while not and am a bit uneasy as to how
accurate MRTG really is. It seems to me that we should actually be using
more bandwidth than what MRTG is reporting. The only hard example that I
have is the Firebox 2500 that I have behind a router that I have
attached to the Internet. This router hosts a multi linked T1 circuit
with two T1 lines for roughly 3MB worth of bandwidth. The bandwidth
monitor on the Firebox shows an average between 300k and 500k an many
times there are a few minutes worth of 1mb+ traffic spikes. Despite
that, MRTG shows less than 100k on average as far as traffic is
concerned. Why is this?

Paul Harlow
System and Network Administrator
SKLD Information Services LLC