[mrtg] Re: Moving logs from one device to another

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 7 00:12:40 MEST 2005

>I have mrtg running against an Extreme switch right now, it's
>due to be replaced by a Cisco switch.  I'm interested in
>maintaining the traffic history for the devices on the switch.
> after i run cfgmaker, will renaming the log files to the new
>file names keep the history intact, or am I out of luck?

Yes, it will work, with caveats.
1) You may get a spike in the graph at the time of the changeover.  Use
killspike if this happens.
2) Make sure you rename the files (.log or .rrd) correctly to match the new
targetnames

I've done this several times in the past with .rrd files (often the
interfaces were on routers, and named by IP address, so I didn't even need
to rename files) and it worked.

Steve