[mrtg] Re: CableModem Interfaces

Christopher A. Congdon ccongdon at congdonweb.com
Tue Jun 7 16:32:20 MEST 2005

I don't know the ins and outs of cable modems in general, but it seems
to me that what you *should* see if this thing adheres to certain
standards...

Interface 1) You should see inbound and outbound traffic. Inbound should
represent the traffic you are sending from your network to the 'net.
Outbound should represent traffic your modem is receiving from the 'net
and being transmitted to your network.

Interface 2) This is probably some sort of 'internal' interface. Many
devices have if's like this and can be ignored.

Interface 3/4) You may want to look into combining these two interfaces
as the same graph. I'm not sure why they are separately listed
interfaces, but IF3 should be your Internet to LAN traffic and IF4
should be your LAN to Internet traffic.

Interface 5) This would be the traffic you would see if you had a USB
cable hooked up to your cable modem. If you're not using USB, you can
comment out this IF.

If your server is doing most of the Internet traffic on your network, it
is no surprise that the IF3 matches your server's inbound traffic. Since
your server is pulling packets from the 'Net, they have to follow
through the inbound interface on your Cable Modem, which is IF3. You
should see a matching graph of Outbound Traffic color on the Cable's
IF1. This also means that your server's ETH0 outbound should be a close
match for the cable's IF4.

Judging by the Configmaker interfaces, it is no surprise that IF4 only
shows outbound traffic. IF1 however should show inbound and
outbound...after all, it should be a standard Ethernet interface.

Again, your best bet is to have MRTG make two graphs for you, one
showing inbound and outbound for the cable's IF1, and a combo graph
showing IF3 as inbound and IF4 as outbound traffic.

Chris

On