[mrtg] CableModem Interfaces

Jake Colman colman at ppllc.com
Tue Jun 7 16:00:29 MEST 2005

I have a cablemodem connected to eth0; eth1 is used for the internal
network.  I used cfgmaker to create a config for eth0 and for the interfaces
on the cablemodem (a docsis-compatible SB5100).

I don't understand what the various cablemodem interfaces mean nor do I
understand how I can use these interfaces to graph the bandwidth I am using
when connected to the internet.

cfgmaker found 4 interfaces on the SB5100:

1) ifType: ethernetCsmacd (6); ifName: eth0
2) skipped
3) ifType: CATV Downstream Interface (128); ifname: <none>
4) ifType: CATV Upstream Interface (129); ifname: <none>
5) ifType: (160); ifName: usb0

The downstream interface (interface 3) seems to have exactly the same graph
for incoming bytes as that shown for my server's eth0 interface.

Interfaces 1 and 4 show only outbound bytes but I have no idea what this
represents.  Can anyone explain?

Ultimately, what I'd like to graph is the amount of my available bandwidth
that I am currently consuming in both directions.  Any suggestions how to do
this?

TIA!

...Jake

--