[mrtg] Re: Graph is different

Beast beast at i6x.org
Sat Jun 11 05:46:20 MEST 2005

PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
>>Since it only 2 interfaces, the graph should be identical, but
>>not right now.
>

> That is a very bad assumption.  Rarely is this the case for
> our internet facing routers.  Even within our network,
> the internal eth (or fa, or ge) interfaces are sometimes not
> the same as the "outgoing" ones.

Usualy it is same, if there's a different, it should be not that big.

>>For example incoming on S0 is 29 kbps but outgoing in ETH0
>>is 490kbps and it happen most of the time, what could be
>>the reason?
>

> Virus on a PC.  Something wild going on inside your LAN.
> Start up something like ntop or ethereal and span a port
> to capture data on the lan side.

It could be virus(less likely) or cron job,most PC and servers are linux
and this is not internet gateway, its only link to another branch.

>>I already tried to restart router or clear the counter but
>>it still happen.
>

> Because all the router is doing is reporting the packets it
> is handling.  You haven't done anything to figure out
> WHY there is lots more traffic internally.

What I still did not understand is why it happen on the eth interface
only, what traffic is generated/requested by/from the router?

--

--beast