[mrtg] Re: Capabilities of mrtg

Brian Gregorcy brian at hum.utah.edu
Wed Jun 29 17:18:41 MEST 2005

Rudy Gerla wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have troubles with the performance in our network to try to determine the
> reason, I installed MRTG. the produkt is working perfect, but I want to be
> able to determine the reason, so I want to get more details in my graphs.
>
> For our internet connection we use a Sonicwall firewall and the server MRTG
> is installed on is a windows 2000 server system.
>
> is there somebody who has  some suggestion?
>
> Greetings,
>
> Rudy
>

> --

Hi Rudy,

You can point mrtg at a switch to see which interfaces are generating
traffic, but I don't think that will tell you why they are generating
traffic.  A better solution would be to take a look at installing snort,
or some other IDS/packet capture utility.

http://www.snort.org
--
Brian Gregorcy
Lab Manager

	"Hi! I'm a signature virus! cp me into your .signature file to help me
spread!"