[mrtg] Re: Hi, new to MRTG, having some problems

John Barbieri jbarbieri at metrocastcablevision.com
Fri Mar 11 22:57:31 MET 2005

Those files are the HTML files and pictures it generates. It updates the
daily one every five minutes, and the weekly one 30 hours, and so on.
the files wont get bigger at all. You will be fine.

For ease of use, you should use index maker to be able to see all the
graphs on one page (if your monitoring multiple files)

The syntax should be (in Unix, not sure about windows)

indexmaker /path/to/config > /path/to/webdir/mrtg/index.html

Cheers,

John Barbieri

Lorenzo Fife wrote:

>Hi, I just installed MRTG on my windows 2000 laptop (to monitor the
>company's Cisco 4507r switch) according to the instructions on this
>webpage:
>http://www.netmon.org/dummies.htm
>It works, (followed the instructions word for word), but in the
>c:/mrtghtml/ directory there's dozens of files... (i've attached two of the
>many HTML files)  The names are like:
>10.0.6.1_120.html, 10.0.6.1_120.log, 10.0.6.1_120.old,
>10.0.6.1_120-day.png, 10.0.6.1_120-month.png, 10.0.6.1_120-week.png,
>10.0.6.1_120-year.png, and then i have one for 10.0.6.1_121, 10.0.6.1_122,
>etc.  they just add up.
>
>i don't think they get bigger and bigger, because if i close the MRTG DOS
>window, and then open it and type in the command again, the files don't
>increase in number (what file do i look at?  does it update one HTML file?
>or does it (so it seems) create different HTML files each time?)
>
>Very confused, and i'm scared to leave MRTG on overnight in case i come in
>the morning to find that it's used 10GB of my hard drive or something
>
>Thanks
>~Lorenzo
>lorenzo_fife at hotmail.com
>

>-- Attached file removed by Ecartis and put at URL below --
>-- Type: text/html
>-- Size: 7k (8020 bytes)
>

>-- Attached file removed by Ecartis and put at URL below --
>-- Type: text/html
>-- Size: 7k (8016 bytes)
>

>--

John Barbieri
Network Operations
MetroCast Cablevision
jbarbieri at metrocastcablevision.com

"There are only 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary, and those that don't"