[mrtg] WMI timeout

Guillermo Hechem ghechem at ciudad.com.ar
Mon May 9 17:55:01 MEST 2005

Hi,
I'm running MRTG under Windows 2000. I'm using external scripts to query certain parameters in a considerable number of Windows servers through WMI. These scripts send a ping to check if the servers are up before querying them.
Everything had been working fine, but recently I noticed that one server stopped responding to WMI queries, altough it was up an running; the WMI service seemed to stop responding. This caused my entire MRTG system to pause, since the WMI query was waiting forever.
Has anyone ever had this problem? Is there any workaround? I found that from a WinXP or Win2k3 computer you can rewrite the scripts to use SWbemLocator.ConnectServer instead of 'GetObject("winmgmts:...', and use the wbemConnectFlagUseMaxWait flag so as to shorten the timeout for the SWbemLocator.ConnectServer. Unfortunately, I'm still using W2K and I plan to keep using it for some time.