[mrtg] Re: Suggestions for Further Monitoring

Kevin Stone kjstone at gmail.com
Tue May 10 21:40:57 MEST 2005

I recently moved from pure MRTG to RRD integrated MRTG with 14all on
Windows 2003 with IIS6 and it works great.  I had debated about doing
this for some time as we outgrew MRTG with 400+ devices but had not
seen much info on accomplishing it.

It was actually pretty easy.  I started with the info here:
http://www.snmp4tpc.com/rrdtool and had to make some minor adjustments
for platform and versions.  I have a quick write up here:
http://www.inetlabs.net/wp/?p=69 and will at some point do a full
documentation.

I have also experimented with the 1 minute patches found here:
http://www.loplop.net/projects/1minMRTG/ with some success.  My system
doesn't have enough power to manage many devices at one minute
intervals so more testing will have to wait.

More options are Steve Shipway's Routers2
(http://www.steveshipway.org/software/rrd/f_routers.html) and Cacti(
http://www.cacti.net/index.php).

-Kevin

On 5/10/05, Josh R. Andrews <jandrews at kccllc.com> wrote:
> Dear MRTG/RRD Users --
>
> I use MRTG extensively for network and server capacity graphing. I run
> MRTG on a Windows box with IIS. I know it's evil, but that's life.
>
> Anyway, I would like to get better graphs and more graphing
> capabilities. Some things I would like are 1) better history then MRTG
> offers 2) more detail -- I can only get every 5 minutes on MRTG and 3)
> just plain cooler-looking graphs.
>
> I've looked around and it looks like RRDtool might help with this, but
> most of the graphing engines that I see (i.e. Cacti) are
> unix/linux-only. Does anyone have any ideas for Windows and how I could
> (hopefully relatively simply) upgrade from MRTG and put some sort of
> good graphing engine in front of RRDtool?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Josh
> DISCLAIMER:
> Any information and enclosure herein is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the recipient and its authorized agents only. The author believes the information herein to be reliable and accurate, but Kurtzman Carson Consultants LLC makes no warranty or representation as to its accuracy, completeness, freedom from viruses or errors in transmission. Unless otherwise stated, any opinions expressed herein are those solely of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Kurtzman Carson Consultants LLC or its affiliates. If you have received this message and are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately by return email and delete any copies you may have received.
>
> --

-Kevin