[mrtg] MaxBytes issues?

securityadmin securityadmin at charter.net
Wed May 18 03:00:51 MEST 2005

Hello guys, I've read and read but I've yet to find a solution for my issue.

I'm running 2.12.1 the latest version of mrtg, also the latest version of
rrdtool.

I tried with cacti and a regular stock mrtg, built the config from scratch.

My previous config a while ago was putting multiple targets into one log and
graph output.. community at ip + community at ip + community at ip
I noticed that the graphs and output would have issues after 108mbit, it'd
just drop to something like 5402kb/s or something it felt like doing.

Currently have a Riverstone RS8000 router and it's just one interface,
gi.6.2, same thing is happening, at 108mbit it drops in the graph but the
real amount of bandwidth doesn't drop on the network.

My MaxBytes is 125000000 and one of my friends told me to try AbsMax
125000000 also but I do not see a difference.

I'm using the solar winds.net remote monitor bandwidth gauge and it shows me
doing 125mbit right now and I'm polling every 30 seconds. This is really cpu
intensive and annoying but if that software is working, that is proof that
the router and the previous hosts I used to use it with do not have any
issues.. I've seen people with these issues and others just mention to use
maxbytes, but it is not helping me. I have a graph for anyone who would like
to respond. Thanks!