[mrtg] Re: Making MRTG more Efficient/Faster

Hakan Lindholm hakan at staff.spray.se
Fri May 20 17:11:07 MEST 2005

On Fri, 20 May 2005, John Barbieri wrote:

> I was wondering if there was a way of making MRTG more efficient

Do you use "Logformat: rrdtool" ?

That will save you from generating graphs each run.
Instead you'll need something like my14all.cgi to generate those graphs on
demand when someone want to have a look at them.

> I have yet to see the load on the box go under 1.

As MRTG use a lot of forks, but most of the time is waiting for SNMP
response, load average is usually not a problem.  Check for CPU usage
instead (vmstat).

/H