[mrtg] Re: Making MRTG more Efficient/Faster

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sat May 21 07:42:26 MEST 2005

Hakan,

to make mrtg faster, apart from using rrdtool you should

* use only one instance and configure Forks: instead

* run mrtg in daemon mode so that it does not have to reload the
  config on every round.

* make sure that you do not throw away error messages it produces.
  It could be that it is redoing its confcache population routine
  on ever run.

cheers
tobi

Yesterday Hakan Lindholm wrote:

> On Fri, 20 May 2005, John Barbieri wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if there was a way of making MRTG more efficient
>
> Do you use "Logformat: rrdtool" ?
>
> That will save you from generating graphs each run.
> Instead you'll need something like my14all.cgi to generate those graphs on
> demand when someone want to have a look at them.
>

> > I have yet to see the load on the box go under 1.
>
> As MRTG use a lot of forks, but most of the time is waiting for SNMP
> response, load average is usually not a problem.  Check for CPU usage
> instead (vmstat).
>
> /H
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286