[mrtg] Re: Backup on MRTG Server

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue May 24 03:26:33 MEST 2005

>When running a full backup on my MRTG server running
>Routers2.CGI it fail
>everytime. What service should be stopped before the backup
>and restarted
>after the backup to ensure that it keeps running after the backup has
>finished? Other than restarting the server every weekend.

Here, we run a nightly backup (using TSM) on our constantly running
MRTG/RRD/routers2 server with no problems.  This is under linux, with no
special stopping of anything for the backup.

routers2 should in no way interfere with a backup since it is only run on
request from the web server.  It is possible that, if you run MRTG in daemon
mode, it is holding a file open and your backup software cannot cope with
open files... however that shouldn't happen, IMHO.

I think you should examine the error logs from your backup software to
determine exactly at which file your backup software is failing -- I doubt
MRTG/RRD/routers2 is at fault in this, maybe you have a failing hard disk or
corrupt filesystem?

In the event that routers2 *is* somehow to blame, please give me as many
details as possible (backup software version, OS type, machine details,
backup error log) so that I can investigate.

Steve