[mrtg] Re: Backup on MRTG Server

Michael Heiming michael at heiming.de
Wed May 25 21:29:16 MEST 2005

Steve Shipway wrote:
>>When running a full backup on my MRTG server running
>>Routers2.CGI it fail
>>everytime.

What is failing? Are there any error messages in your browser + server
logs (system/www) helping to get some more info about the problem?

>>What service should be stopped before the backup
>>and restarted
>>after the backup to ensure that it keeps running after the backup has
>>finished? Other than restarting the server every weekend.
>

> Here, we run a nightly backup (using TSM) on our constantly running
> MRTG/RRD/routers2 server with no problems.  This is under linux, with no
> special stopping of anything for the backup.
>
> routers2 should in no way interfere with a backup since it is only run on
> request from the web server.  It is possible that, if you run MRTG in daemon
> mode, it is holding a file open and your backup software cannot cope with
> open files... however that shouldn't happen, IMHO.
>
> I think you should examine the error logs from your backup software to
> determine exactly at which file your backup software is failing -- I doubt
> MRTG/RRD/routers2 is at fault in this, maybe you have a failing hard disk or
> corrupt filesystem?
>
> In the event that routers2 *is* somehow to blame, please give me as many
> details as possible (backup software version, OS type, machine details,
> backup error log) so that I can investigate.

Hi Steve!

Ack, don't think the problem is routers2/mrtg/rrdtool related, keep a
system running with a larger amount of rrd files, which is backuped
daily, nothing is stopped and no problems.

BTW
Thx for the new search feature in routers2!

Michael Heiming