[mrtg] Re: Server Room Temperature Monitoring Questions

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Nov 17 20:41:57 MET 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 10:08 -0800, Stevo wrote:
> The APC unit measures both Temp and Humidity with a single probe and I'm
> currently getting a regular MRTG graph with Temp and Humidity on the
> same graph.  Temp is in Green and Humidity is in Blue.  Is there a way
> to swap those around as it would make more sense to me to have the temp
> be the blue line!
Change the order of the OIDs on the line.

> The second questions is that the APC unit sends it measurements in
> Celcius and I'd like to that to Fahrenheit on the graph.  Take a look at
> my config and you can see I attempted to do the x*1.8 + 32 conversion,
> but the problem I ran into is that the humidity is tied into that target
> and it messes the conversion out.
Yup.  I also think you have to multiply by 9 and divide by 5, then add
2.  Rateup only deals with integers...

> I'm only really interested in seeing the Temp being graphed at this
> time... so is there a way to remove the humidity and just see the temp??

Sure, just put the temperature OID in twice, then use
options[target_name]:noo (or noi - whichever color line you like better)

> Any other ideas for me?  My config is posted below:

separate targets for temp and humidity.

Get an IT Watchdog for monitoring - it also gives you airflow, light
level, sound, and dry contacts.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX, CISSP # 78281
Austin Energy

dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com