[mrtg] Re: Changing the time interval with rrdtool

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Nov 23 22:14:29 MET 2005

>I've been using MRTG with RRDTOOL for some time now, measuring
>the serial
>ports of a router every 5 minutes. I'd like to change the time
>interval from
>those 5 minutes to 2 minutes.
>Is this possible? I suppose I have to change the structure of the rrd
>databases.

You will need to put 'Interval: 2' into your .cfg files to specify a 2-min
interval.  Also, you'll probably need to unload the .rrd to XML, and modify
the XML to specify a different interval before reloading it into rrdtool.
Also, you'd need to change the length of the 1dp RRA (to at least 1000) so
that it covers a day.  The other RRAs would need to change the number of dp
-- so the 30min RRA (6dp) would need to be changed to 15dp (since 1dp is not
2min, not 5min).  And so on.

Alternatively, just delete your old .rrd and let MRTG create a new one, but
you'd lose all your historical data then.

Steve