[mrtg] Re: Two questions about MRTG

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Oct 4 14:09:02 MEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 21:00 -0400, Tao Yaoning wrote:

> My switch has 24 ports, port 2-6 belong to Vlan2 and other port belong to
> VLAN1. Use cfgmaker, I can create a cfg file that monitor traffic on each
> port. But know I want to new cfg file that summarize VLAN2 traffic on
> picture. It means I need to summarize Port 2-6 traffic to one objective. I
> try port2+port3+port4+port5+port6:public at myswitch, but I doesn't work at
> all.

Right, because the roll-over calculations are nearly impossible.

> Anybody knows how to resolve it?

Use rrdtool as your back-end, and router2.cgi as your front-end.  In
each interface, add a tag like:
Target[router.port2]: 2:router at reallyhardcommunitystring
routers.cgi*Graph[router.port2]: router.vlan2
!
Target[router.port3]: 3:router at reallyhardcommunitystring
routers.cgi*Graph[router.port3]: router.vlan2
Then, define the characteristics of the summary graph:

routers.cgi*GraphStyle[router.vlan2]: stack

rotuers.cgi will display your summary stats for you.

You might be able to generate an if-template to add those tags for you.
See if  $if_vlan_id has the information you need to let cfgmaker build
everything for you.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX, CISSP # 78281
Austin Energy

dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com