[mrtg] Re: Total Bandwidth Usage?

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Tue Oct 11 19:05:48 MEST 2005

> Hey everyone,
>
> Is there a way to get MRTG using SNMP on a linux box to
> display my total bandwidth used?  (Not bps, but actual
> usage)?
>
> -Eric

It *does* show your total bandwidth used, as measured in bits/second (a
RATE based measurement). I'm assuming you want gigabytes/month though,
which seems to be what a lot of hosting companies are using. MRTG doesn't
display this a cumulative total directly (you can set the graphs to show
bytes/second though instead of bits/second), but you can use the php
script "MRTG Total Traffic Generator" from "Björn Patrick Swift" that will
compute the gigabyte useage values over a defined period of time for you.

     -Bill