[mrtg] Re: can someone explain "workdir" please?

Eric Brander eric_mailing_list at rednarb.com
Thu Sep 1 18:14:25 MEST 2005

>Whenever I view the idx.html webpage the graphs are never updated. So, I
>guess I need to understand the "flow" of the files:
>1. Does mrtg create the graphs in the workdir and then copy them over to the
>web directory?
>2. What is the default for "workdir" when I leave it off the cfgmaker
>command line?
>3. Is there any way to re-create the month/year images from existing log
>files (I copied over the existing ones)  :(
>4. I have not looked into that RRD thingy, is this something that might
>solve my problems or are they more basic than that?
>
>Help me Obiwan Kenobi, you're my only hope!
>
>TIA!
>---
>Timothy M. Valdez, Webmaster
>WA State Dept. of Agriculture
>1111 Washington Street, NRB
>Olympia, WA  98504-2560
>(360)725-5507

Timothy,

Configmaker generates the config. Indexmaker generates the index based
on the config. You still need to actually run the mrtg script, with the
config as the focus, on a regular 5-minute interval in order to poll the
equipment and build the graphs.

Start here:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg-nt-guide.html

HTH,