[mrtg] Re: Fwd: question about if-template

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Sep 27 16:25:19 MEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 08:51 -0400, Tao Yaoning wrote:
> It's strange I couldn't receive this message by myself
Not at all strange.  Most sensible list-serves allow you to send without
cluttering your own inbox. I have my preferences set to get an
acknowledgment each time.  Click on the "WebAdmin" link in the footer to
adjust your preferences...

But, as this is the third time you have posted the same thing with the
same lack of detail, and since I really like ifTemplates, I'll take a
shot at your actual message....

What is the cfgmaker syntax you were attempting?  Did you use the
--ifDesc keyword?

> In fact, on my extreme switch, different ports have
> different purpose. I hope I can define more detail port description for each
> port. What can I do? I try to use if-template option, but it change all port
> description to same one.

What does your iftemplate look like?

If you do an snmpwalk of ifTable or ifXTable, do you see the information
you want to display?  If not, is there an enterprise mib that does
display the information that you want?

Once we have that information, we can either advise you in one of three
alternatives:

1. Use the --ifdesc keyword with the proper syntax.
2. Alter cfgmaker so that it populates one of the pre-defined variables
properly for the extreme switch
3. how to write a highly intelligent iftemplate to do independent snmp
polling and generate the output that you want.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX, CISSP # 78281
Austin Energy

dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com