[mrtg] SNMP V2 and ifSpeed question

Tim Sheets TSheets at illinois.net
Tue Apr 4 23:09:50 MEST 2006

Hello all,

I have seen a few posts in the past regarding this, but can't find a
definitive answer.  I apologize if I have overlooked the obvious.

We have a variety of interfaces across multiple routers (Cisco) that
range from T1 to OC48 to GigE.

A while back, I started using the --snmp-options=:::::2 option globally
due to the faster interfaces.  However, when I do that, the T1
interfaces report an ifSpeed of 2000 kbits rather than the 1536 kbits
(specified with a bandwidth statement on the interfaces) as they do when
using V1 SNMP.

If I want the T3 and faster interfaces to use ifHC counters, but V1
queries on the T1 interfaces, what is the best option?  I am using host
and interface templates, so I suppose I could hack something there, but
it sure wouldn't be very elegant.

Running mrtg-2.10.13 on RH Linux ES3.0.

Thanks for any help/advise you can offer.

Tim