[mrtg] Cfg failure - invalid characters in custom MIB?

Dan mrtg at dandoore.com
Sun Apr 9 14:31:17 MEST 2006

I have imported a custom MIB for my router which has dashes ('-'s) in
the object names for example the TX bytes for PPP IF 0 is

ppp-0-stats-txbytes OBJECT-TYPE
	SYNTAX INTEGER
	MAX-ACCESS read-write
	STATUS current
	::= { ppp-0-stats 2 }

There's no issue importing the MIB with LoadMIBs: but MRTG cannot parse
the ppp-0-stats-txbytes:

MRTG config line:

Target[router_PPP_0]:
ppp-0-stats-rxbytes.0&ppp-0-stats-txbytes.0:public at 1.2.3.4

MRTG Output:

ERROR: Target[router_ppp_0][_IN_]
'ppp-0-stats-rxbytes.0&ppp-0-stats-txbytes. $target->[0]{$mode} '
(warn): Ambiguous use of & resolved as operator & at (eval 10) line 1.
ERROR: Target[router_ppp_0][_OUT_]
'ppp-0-stats-rxbytes.0&ppp-0-stats-txbytes. $target->[0]{$mode} '
(warn): Ambiguous use of & resolved as operator & at (eval 11) line 1.

MRTG Version is 2.12.2-2 as bundled with SuSE OSS-10

If I use snmpget from the command line on ppp-0-stats-txbytes it returns
the correct value plus if I hack the MIB and take out the dashes so it's
'ppp0statsrxbytes' it works fine.

I have tried to escape-out the dashs in the cfg MRTG complains in a
similar fashion so is this:

1. A limitation of MRTG
2. A bad character in the MIB that I need to gripe to the vendor about.

A quick check of the RFCs states that it should be ASCII so that's
helpful :-)

Dan.