[mrtg] Re: Introduction and Question

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Aug 11 20:40:59 MEST 2006

>>> "Berger, Gary" <GARY.BERGER at odnss.com> 08/11/06 2:27 PM >>>
> See what happenes when you get old.......
> It was 96 97ish while at Clemson University.
>
> Very helpful responses!  Sun used to have a network grapher that
> was close to real-time on the older Sparcs and earlier versions of
> Solaris.  They dropped it though.  I really liked that thing.

Yep, I remember that.  Used to use it all the time.

> So essentially in line and expensive is the solution.
>
> Thanks for your response.

Real time costs lots of money.  Near-time doesn't.

There is a windows network grapher out there that
monitors per second and updates the graph too.  I
can't remember the name of it, but it can be set up to
write the data out to a log file in a configurable
timeframe (every minute up to about every 99 hours).
It is based on MRTG and works fairly well from what
I remember.

It's a little finicky about the memory it uses (I think it
had a memory leak), but the name of the application
escapes me.  I'll go hunting for it, but I'm not sure
it's still out in the wild.

Paul