[mrtg] Re: Introduction and Question

Vargas, Miguel Miguel.Vargas at Intelsat.com
Fri Aug 11 20:55:12 MEST 2006

If your devices support it you can use NetFlow to get near real-time
bandiwdth and other stats. I haven't used it but FlowScan is a free open
source NetFlow tool with an RRD backend.

-----Original Message-----
From: mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch [mailto:mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch]
On Behalf Of PAUL WILLIAMSON
Sent: Friday, 11 August, 2006 2:41 PM
To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Re: Introduction and Question

>>> "Berger, Gary" <GARY.BERGER at odnss.com> 08/11/06 2:27 PM >>>
> See what happenes when you get old.......
> It was 96 97ish while at Clemson University.
>
> Very helpful responses!  Sun used to have a network grapher that
> was close to real-time on the older Sparcs and earlier versions of
> Solaris.  They dropped it though.  I really liked that thing.

Yep, I remember that.  Used to use it all the time.

> So essentially in line and expensive is the solution.
>
> Thanks for your response.

Real time costs lots of money.  Near-time doesn't.

There is a windows network grapher out there that
monitors per second and updates the graph too.  I
can't remember the name of it, but it can be set up to
write the data out to a log file in a configurable
timeframe (every minute up to about every 99 hours).
It is based on MRTG and works fairly well from what
I remember.

It's a little finicky about the memory it uses (I think it
had a memory leak), but the name of the application
escapes me.  I'll go hunting for it, but I'm not sure
it's still out in the wild.

Paul

Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services
(FSS) worldwide and is the leading provider of these services
to each of the media, network services/telecom and government
customer sectors, enabling people and businesses everywhere
constant access to information and entertainment. Intelsat offers
customers a greater business potential by providing them access
to unrivaled resources with ease of business and peace of mind.
Our services are utilized by an extensive customer base, including
some of the world’s leading media and communications companies,
multinational corporations, Internet service providers and
government/military organizations. Real-time, constant communication
with people anywhere in the world is closer, by far.

For more information, visit www.intelsat.com.

This email message is for the sole use of the intended
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
destroy all copies of the original message.  Any views
expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender, except where the sender specifically states them
to be the views of Intelsat, Ltd. and its subsidiaries.