[mrtg] Stating a Gig Ethernet Port

John Williams john.williams at eurisp.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 13:50:37 MEST 2006

We have a 7304 that has an uplink on it’s Gig Ethernet port but are seeing
some strange MRTG stats.
The MRTG graph is up and down like a yoyo, one minute it shows the
input/output at around 121Mb 5 minute average, and the next it’s dropped to
around 8Mb 5 minute average.
At first I thought it maybe something wrong on the 7304, but upon looking at
the interface stats on the router the 5 minute output/input rate is always
over 100Mb.
I’ve confirmed with our upstream that the Gig port connects to and they see
us never doing less that 100Mb.

So I’m not sure where the problem is.
I run Snmpwalk independently from the command line to see what Octets are
reported back from the router and sure enough one minute it says over 100Mb
the next as low as 8Mb.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this behaviour from SNMP on a 7304
router.
The IOS we have on the router is c7300-js-mz.122-28.SB3 which is the latest
version from the Cisco site.
I’ve looked at bug reports for this IOS and see nothing that relates to SNMP
reporting.

We’ve tried the uplink of a different port and still get the same results.
The interface reports over 100Mb 5 minute average but MRTG graphs show it up
and down from 8Mb to over 100Mb.

Is it the IOS, the Gig ports, SNMP??

Not sure where to look now.

Thanks for any help you can supply.