[mrtg] Re: MRTG error - newbie

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Dec 5 04:08:56 MET 2006

> Daemonizing MRTG results in the following errors.
> SNMP Error:
> Received SNMP response with error code
>   error status: noSuchName
>   index 1 (OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.3)
> SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "10.52.1.8" [10.52.1.8].161)
>                   community: "XXXXXXX"
> XXXXXX at 10.52.1.8:
> at mrtg line 1512
> WARNING: Expected a number but got ''
> WARNING: Expected a number but got ''

First piece of information - don't post to a public group revealing your
SNMP community string!  I've X'd it out above to protect your security.

With regard to your problem - this means the SNMP lookup failed.  One of
these is likely to be the problem -
1. You have the wrong community string
2. Your MRTG host doesnt have rights to SNMP query the monitored host
3. The host 10.52.1.8 is not running an SNMP daemon
4. The interface you are trying to monitor no longer exists
5. Your community string contains non-alphanumeric characters that need
to be escaped, but have not been (eg - spaces, :, @)

HTH

Steve

--