[mrtg] Problem last night

mrtglist at keithbergen.com mrtglist at keithbergen.com
Tue Dec 5 18:15:51 MET 2006

List,

Last night, my PC was rebooted by our IT department without warning. I am
running MRTG on a Windows XP box and it is saving files to a fileshare on
our web server.

When I came in, I logged in like normal, and noticed that my MRTG graphs had
no history at all. Upon further investigation, I found that the log file had
been recreated, and the old log file was dated back in November some time.

The events log had the following error.
2006-12-04 22:25:38 -- 2006-12-04 22:25:32: ERROR: Skipping webupdates
because rateup did not return anything sensible
2006-12-04 22:25:38 -- 2006-12-04 22:25:32: WARNING: rateup died from Signal
0
 with Exit Value 1 when doing router 'fld_cnt'
 Signal was 0, Returncode was 1

My questions are:

I suspect that it went down right at the point where MRTG was rewriting the
log file, but can somebody confirm? If that isn't the case, then what
happened?

Is there something that could have been done to prevent this (short of not
rebooting the machine)? I am thinking of making a perl script that will
periodically save the file, but want to check with the list first and see if
there is something else that can be done in case I'd be reinventing the
wheel.

Thanks,
Keith.

--

"If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English,
thank a soldier."