[mrtg] Re: Network Weathermap with MRTG

Syed Waqqas Ahmed s.waqqas at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 28 21:59:51 MET 2006

Hello Seteve,

  I have configured the same tool as capacity and network monitoring of our intercities and DSL network and IPLC.

No dout its an excellent tool to find out the utilization of ur links and plan upgradation of links accordinly. I am using it with PHP and in config file i have to define the refreshing interval. well in perl u have to define it in cron file thats correct.

  On backend i am using the RRD asl well .

  Well i actually found a software to eidt graphically the conf file of weathermap and adding nodes and defining links but that was for php i am not sure that works with perl or not.

  Well i recommend this tool as an excellent network utilization monitoring.

  Regards,

  Waqqas

Steve Shipway <s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
  Hello, all.

I've been playing with the Network Weathermap tool found at
http://wotsit.thingy.com/haj/cacti/php-weathermap/
Is anyone else using this, or something similar?

Although it claims to be for cacti, it actually will work rather nicely
with MRTG, provided you have a .rrd backend and a frontend that can
generate popup graphs, such as routers2.cgi. The drawback is that you
need to run the map generation via cron or similar because it does not
generate it on-demand - however this is a relatively low CPU load.

Using this, you can get dynamic colour changes and graphs to show
network health, very popular with our networking guys. If you want to
configure it with MRTG/RRD/routers2 then you need to use configurations
like:

---snip---
NODE cfgfile.cfg
POSITION 300 400
LABEL My Router
INFOURL /cgi-bin/routers2.cgi?rtr=cfgfile.cfg&if=__none

LINK targetname
NODES cfgfile.cfg othercfgfile.cfg
INFOURL /cgi-bin/routers2.cgi?rtr=cfgfile.cfg&if=targetname
TARGET /path/to/rrd/files/targetname.rrd:ds0:ds1
OVERLIBGRAPH
/cgi-bin/routers2.cgi?rtr=cfgfile.cfg&if=targetname&xgtype=ds&xgstyle=x&
page=image
BANDWIDTH 1G
---snip---

of course changing the cfgfile.cfg and targetname parameters, and the
/path/to/rrd/files as necessary. There's no reason why you should not
be able to do similar with other frontends like mrtg-rrd as well. Note
that you need to install the RRD-PHP interface on the server for this to
work, though.

I'm currently working on a Perl/Tk script for dynamically editing the
config file and automatically inserting all these details. If anyone is
interested in trying this out or having a play with the beta map editor
then please let me know.

Steve

--
Steve Shipway