[mrtg] Re: SNMP informant and MRTG

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jan 19 01:45:19 MET 2006

Richard Glauser wrote:
> I am attempting to graph the RAM memory on a Windows 2003
> server. I know it has 1.5Gb of memory. When I use this
> configuration MRTG reports that I have 1162.9Mbytes of
> committed memory and 810.4 Mbytes of Free Memory.
> Either I have the wrong OID's or the wrong math in my config.

Is it possible that these values are changing so quickly that you cannot be
certain of getting two matching samples?

We get this sort of behaviour when trying to graph CPU usage in
user/system/wait on UNIX servers - often, the sum of these is over 100%,
because the values changed between the reading of the different OIDs.

Maybe look at the daily average (or an even longer time) and see if they
average out to more sensible values, which would indicate it being a polling
time issue.

In your case, I would suggest reading just the committed bytes and total
physical bytes and graphing that (which is what we do here).  Maybe use the
'noo' option to suppress the second line on the graph.  As long as the
committed never goes above 1.5Gb, in which case something else is wrong...

Steve