[mrtg] Re: Mrtg daemonized/cron run

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Jan 25 20:19:33 MET 2006

Why do you think stopping MRTG will stop the traffic counters on the
devices from accumulating?  The only way I see to do this is to
develop a process to "remove" the backup spikes.  One way is
to "synthesize" the data.  Although not smart, if you know that
the backup spikes will last an hour, just keep on polling through
the period when the backups run.  Then, after that period has
completely finished, take the previous hour's data (prior to when
the backups started) and replace the slice while the backups
were going on with the previous hours' data.  That should give the
PHB's the warm feeling that nothing is going on with the network
during the period that the backups are running.

There are many other ways, and I'm not even saying this is
a good idea, but it will serve the purpose.

Paul

>>> "Thomas Deliduka" <thomas at xenocast.com> 01/25/06 12:59 PM >>>
I have this annoying problem on my network. The backup runs every
morning at
4am. When it does, traffic spikes to over 4Mbps on the network for my
servers.

The backup I'm using doesn't allow me to choose the SAN
(faster/non-routable) network to backup for a few servers thus the
spike. I
can't avoid this, at this time, until the company updates the backup
client.

I have been running MRTG daemonized and I had the idea of stopping the
daemon 5 minutes before the backup and activate it 1 hour later when
it's
done. However, even though the log evidence shows that the daemon is
shutting down and starting up again at the appropriate times, I still
have
data for the whole hour!

So, my question is, if I run it simply as a cron job every 5 minutes
instead
of between 4 and 5 am, will it still fill in the whole hour that I
don't
want tracked?