[mrtg] Re: Mrtg daemonized/cron run

kelsey hudson khudson at tsss.org
Wed Jan 25 19:29:24 MET 2006

Thomas Deliduka wrote:
> I have been running MRTG daemonized and I had the idea of stopping the
> daemon 5 minutes before the backup and activate it 1 hour later when it's
> done. However, even though the log evidence shows that the daemon is
> shutting down and starting up again at the appropriate times, I still have
> data for the whole hour!

This is correct behaviour.

> So, my question is, if I run it simply as a cron job every 5 minutes instead
> of between 4 and 5 am, will it still fill in the whole hour that I don't
> want tracked?

It will. MRTG keeps track of the last time processed, and the last value
of the interface counters. The next time MRTG runs, it will compare the
current time to the time in the log file, then the last recorded value
to the current value on the interface counters. It then averages that
data over the time period.

If you want this behaviour to change, you can switch to an rrdtool
backend and use something like 14all or routers2 to graph your data.
It's a bit more configuration, but in the end it's worth it. I'd
reccomend 14all, since it's rather easy to set up (uses the mrtg config
file). I made some modifications to v1.1p25 that give it a few more
features. If you'd like my copy let me know and I'll shoot it your way.
I can even help you set it up, if desired.

Anyhow, good luck with this.

Cheers,
-Kelsey