[mrtg] Re: MRTG RPM

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Jul 6 14:20:57 MEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 01:47 +0300, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, mchandler at solutions.canon.com wrote:
>
> > I installed mrtg on fedora core 4 from package mrtg-2.11.1-3.rpm, but I
> > haven't seen an newer rpms yet and I was wondering when a new one would
> > come out.  I had a horrible time installing it on SLES and could only get
> > it to install on Fedora Core 4, so I want to keep with the RPM package.  I
> > think compiling my own build would be over my head at this point.
>
> I'd use its srpm and build a new rpm using its spec file.

That is a bit obscure to someone who doesn't think they can build it
from source.

Here are more complete instructions....

* install the mrtg srpm from the Fedora Core 4 distribution.
  That will put a number of files in your build root.  Usually, that
is /usr/src/RPM.
* download the most recent tarball
(http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/pub/mrtg-2.14.4.tar.gz)
* if the old tarball in /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES was bzip'ed instead of
gzip'ed, then you will need to gunzip the file, and then bzip2 it.  It
would then be mrtg-2.14.4.tar.bz2
* Put the new (gzip|bzip2) tarball in /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES
* Edit /usr/src/RPM/SPECS/mrtg.spec  and change the %Version to 2.14.4.
If you also want snmp v3 support, you will need to add a line like:
Requires:       Perl-Net-SNMP

For completeness, you should also add a comment in the changelog
section, e.g.:
%changelog
* Tue Mar 14 2006 Dan McDonald <dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com> 2.13.2-1mdk
- New Release 2.13.2

Now run rpmbuild -ba /usr/src/RPM/SPECS/mrtg.spec

rpmbuild will either complain that you need to load another package, or
compile a fresh RPM for you.  It will also package up a fresh SRPM with
your modified spec file.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CNX, CISSP #78281
Austin Energy

gpg Key: http://austinnetworkdesign.com/pgp.key
Key fingerprint = B527 F53D 0C8C D38B DCC7  901D 2F19 A13A 22E8 A76A