[mrtg] Re: Multiple WorkDir

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Jul 11 03:42:32 MEST 2006

>Let me start by stating very clearly that I am NOT a programmer.  I run
>MRTG on Windows.
Ok

>I have been using MRTG for years to monitor switches, routers and other
>devices.  The one thing I have always wanted to work was the ability to
>define multiple Global WorkDirs. The documentation, since the first
>version I ever used, has shown the following example ----

cfgmaker --global "WorkDir: /home/tobi"            \
          --global "Options[_]: growright,bits"    \
          --ifref=descr                            \
          --ifdesc=alias                           \
          public at router1.place.xyz                 \
          public at router2.place.xyz                 \
          --global "Options[_]: growright"         \
          --ifref=name                             \
          --ifdesc=descr                           \
          public at switch1.place.xyz                 \
          --ifdesc=name                            \
          public at switch2.place.xyz > mrtg.cfg

>seeming to indicate that Global Options can be initiated multiple times

Options[_]: is a per-target default, which can indeed be issued multiple times.

> - and thus leading me to believe that Global Workdir should work the
>same way.

Nope.  Global workdir is just that, global, and only one value will be remembered.

However, have no fear.  The subdir[foo] per-target option allows you to specify different sub-directories for each target. so you could add: --global "SubDir[_]: paris"  and later on --global "SubDir[_]: london"

Or you can use cfgmaker to make a unique directory per router, using the --subdirs=HOSTNAME option.