[mrtg] Re: Multiple WorkDir

Kriegel, Kerry L. Kerry.Kriegel at goRacine.org
Tue Jul 11 16:31:12 MEST 2006

First question - Can I communicate directly with you, or is that bad
form?  I will continue to communicate with the "list" if that is the
right way to go.

Second - I implemented your suggestion in the following manner --> (I
also tried "\" in front of the Routers and Switches)

cfgMaker  --global "WorkDir:  D:\InetPub\MySite"

               --global "Options[_]: growright,bits"
               --global "SubDir[_]: Routers"
               --subdirs HOSTNAME
               --community  mystring
               --ifref ip
               --ifdesc descr
               --if-template D:\MRTG\bin\TrafficTmplate.txt
               MyRouter
               --global "SubDir[_]: Switches"
               --subdirs HOSTNAME
               --ifref descr
               MySwitch
               --output D:\MRTG\bin\County_Traffic.cfg

And CfgMaker ran just fine.....producing the following cfg snippet....

-->  Comment Lines

--Line 18 THEN
EnableIPv6: no
WorkDir: WorkDir:  D:\InetPub\MySite
Options[_]: growright,bits
SubDir[_]: Routers

# System: MyRouter

--> Lots of stuff for MyRouter Interfaces

--> Line 110 THEN
SubDir[_]: Switches

# System:  MySwitch

--> Lots of stuff for MySwitch Interfaces

Then I ran MRTG against this config file and the capture reveals this
--->

ERROR: CFG Error Unknown Option "subdir" on line 37 or above.
           Check doc/reference.txt for Help

So, either my implementation is wrong, or MRTG does not really
understand "SubDir"

As I have hundreds of devices in many Towns, Cities, Villages, etc. that
I monitor, I really do want to be able to produce graphs in multiple
directories WITHOUT have to manually create them.  Any assistance would
be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

 >Let me start by stating very clearly that I am NOT a programmer.  I
run
>MRTG on Windows.

Ok

>I have been using MRTG for years to monitor switches, routers and other
>devices.  The one thing I have always wanted to work was the ability to
>define multiple Global WorkDirs. The documentation, since the first
>version I ever used, has shown the following example ----

cfgmaker --global "WorkDir: /home/tobi"            \
          --global "Options[_]: growright,bits"    \
          --ifref=descr                            \
          --ifdesc=alias                           \
          public at router1.place.xyz                 \
          public at router2.place.xyz                 \
          --global "Options[_]: growright"         \
          --ifref=name                             \
          --ifdesc=descr                           \
          public at switch1.place.xyz                 \
          --ifdesc=name                            \
          public at switch2.place.xyz > mrtg.cfg

>seeming to indicate that Global Options can be initiated multiple times

Options[_]: is a per-target default, which can indeed be issued multiple
times.

> - and thus leading me to believe that Global Workdir should work the
>same way.

Nope.  Global workdir is just that, global, and only one value will be
remembered.

However, have no fear.  The subdir[foo] per-target option allows you to
specify different sub-directories for each target. so you could add:
--global "SubDir[_]: paris"  and later on --global "SubDir[_]: london"

Or you can use cfgmaker to make a unique directory per router, using the
--subdirs=HOSTNAME option.

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.

If you received this message in error, you may not review, use, copy or disclose the message or any attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by a reply email and delete the message.

Thank you.

The County of Racine does not endorse any opinions, conclusions or other information contained within this email and any attachments that does not pertain to official business.