[mrtg] Re: Problem with cfgmaker?

Jeff Wiegley jeffw at cyte.com
Wed Jul 12 22:24:18 MEST 2006

I'm having a similar problem to John I think.

I used MRTG about four years ago and didn't have problems
mapping some lower entry cisco switches (standalone, single
unit 48 port switches).

But now I have a 6509 switch with a single 48 port FastEthernet
blade in it (plus the supervisor/gigabit engine).

I have the blade's ports all segmented into Vlans other than
the default (Vlan1).

When I do a cfgmaker on this device the only "interfaces" that
show up are the Vlans and of course they don't show any traffic
utilization, as I understand Vlans don't count hardware switched
packets and almost all of my traffic is, I guess, being hardware
switched and therefore won't show up on the Vlan counters.

I get the same behavoir even if I pass
'--if-filter=($if_is_ethernet)' to cfgmaker.

I would rather like to see port by port byte traffic counts
anyways, rather than Vlan traffic.

What did I do wrong? What do I have to do to get cfgmaker
to generate the 48 FastEthernet 2/1-48 interfaces so that I
may see byte counters for the actual ports?

Thank you so much,

- Jeff

--
Jeff Wiegley, PhD