[mrtg] Re: Problem with cfgmaker?

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Wed Jul 12 22:56:47 MEST 2006

>But now I have a 6509 switch with a single 48 port FastEthernet
>blade in it (plus the supervisor/gigabit engine).
IOS or CatOS?

>I have the blade's ports all segmented into Vlans other than
>the default (Vlan1).

sensible.

>When I do a cfgmaker on this device the only "interfaces" that
>show up are the Vlans and of course they don't show any traffic
>utilization, as I understand Vlans don't count hardware switched
>packets and almost all of my traffic is, I guess, being hardware
>switched and therefore won't show up on the Vlan counters.

right.

>I get the same behavoir even if I pass
>'--if-filter=($if_is_ethernet)' to cfgmaker.

>I would rather like to see port by port byte traffic counts
>anyways, rather than Vlan traffic.

If you are running CatOS on the supervisor, and IOS on an MSFC (aka "hybrid mode") then you will need to set up snmp on the CatOS portion as well and run cfgmaker against both processors.

If you are running native mode (IOS on both the supervisor and the msfc) then you shouldn't run into this problem.
--
Dan McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281