[mrtg] Re: A target arithmetic issue

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jun 2 01:05:07 MEST 2006

> So I take it MRTG uses 32bit values internally when it gets
> 32bit data back from a target? I guess that sorta makes sense
> and would certainly explain what I am seeing.

I think what happens is that MRTG notices it is retrieving 32bit counters,
and so assumes they will wrap on the 32bit boundary instead of the 64bit
boundary.  When the numbers get too big, it triggers the wrap-detection code
by mistake.  If you use 64-bit counters then the wrap-detection code doesnt
get tickeld.

But this is all guesswork based on the behaviour of MRTG.

Steve